Monday, December 22, 2014

Raspberry, Feta, Pumpkin Seed in a Mason Jar

This week's lunch is a Mason Jar Salad. Remember how I made the Healthier Cobb Salad and the Kale Slaw Salad. The beauty of a mason jar salad is two-fold: you can make an entire week's worth of lunches at one time, AND they stay fresh and yummy throughout the week. Plus, the combinations are practically endless.


This time, I made what I call a "Seasonal Salad". "Seasonal" because it incorporates toasted pumpkin seeds (the Autumn and Thanksgiving times of year) with the green and red colors of the Christmas season. Mason jar salads are pretty easy to make; here's how I created this one.


In the bottom of a quart mason jar (or clean pasta sauce jar), I placed about 2 Tbs. of a lite Raspberry dressing.


Next, I dumped in a handful of diced celery. This hearty vegetable prevents the dressing from soggifying (yes, I made up that word) the salad greens. Because who wants soggified salad later on in the week, right?


Next, I topped the diced celery with a large handful or two of salad greens. You can use any lettuces that you'd like. This week, I found a $5 tub of kale and spinach-type salad greens, so that is what I used.


A small cheery handful of Craisins adorn the salad greens, promoting the holiday feel of this particular salad.


Next, my favorite cheese with which to top a salad - feta! I crumbled up a bit, placing it atop the Craisins.


Lastly, a nod to the seasons passed (Autumn and Thanksgiving) - toasted, cinnamon-sugar pumpkin seeds provide a crunchy finish.


So there it is - a Raspberry, Feta, Pumpkin Seed Salad in a Mason Jar. On Thursday, I will give you my review. Hope it tastes as good as it looks!


No comments:

Post a Comment