Thursday, December 4, 2014

Hard-Boiled Egg Shapes

The other day, my son randomly asked for "eggs that are hard, and in a shape. You know?"
I finally deciphered his code, and the translation was this, "Mom, can you make hard-boiled egg shapes?"

I can't remember if I've shared about egg molds before, but I know I haven't shown you HOW to make hard-boiled egg shapes. At least, I'm pretty sure that I haven't. Gotta love my forgetful preggie brain.


You can purchase these cute, little objects at All Things for Sale, at an international store, or even at Amazon. (Goodness gracious, I love Amazon!)


First, how do you hard-boil an egg? This might seem logical to you, and there are several recipes out there for hard-boiled eggs. Now, I'm a pretty good cook; just ask my husband and kids. But for the life of me, I could NOT successfully hard-boil eggs every single time; sometimes yes, and sometimes no. It could have been the high elevation where we were living at that time, but nevertheless, it was terribly frustrating!

For a while, I would call my mom for instructions, since her "recipe" was tried-and-true. Then I decided to write it down. Not because I didn't want to call my mom, but because with a 3-hour time difference, she just might not want me to be calling late at night, just for hard-boiled egg instructions.

So, here I will share it with you.
"Place eggs in a pot, with enough water, to cover. Put lid on the pot. Heat on high, until eggs begin to rattle. Turn heat down to low, with the lid on, for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, though burner is still hot, for 1 hour or overnight.
Drain water. Place eggs in a bowl in the refrigerator." Or eat immediately.


Here are two tips that I would add:
(1) Place a splash of vinegar in the water before boiling. This enables the shell to peel off easily.
(2) When using egg molds, carefully peel the hot! eggs after the hour is up. You need to have warm eggs in order to put them into the molds.


Carefully peel the still-very-warm eggs. Place one egg into each egg mold. Close the lid, and snap shut. Put in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.


When the eggs have cooled in the molds, carefully undo each mold, and pop out the shaped, hard-boiled egg! I say "carefully" because there will be a bit of water in each mold, probably from the condensation of the previously hot egg. So just be aware.

One more tip: I used medium/large eggs this time, they didn't seem to fill out the mold completely. Large to extra large eggs should fill out the mold better. But either way, you end up with cute egg shapes.

Now, go and enjoy your delightfully-shaped eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment