Monday, November 3, 2014

Mason Jar Salad: A Healthier Cobb Salad

One of my favorite salads is a Cobb Salad, which traditionally consists of iceberg lettuce, onion and tomatoes as the veggie portion. It is then topped with tons of protein - chicken, hard-boiled egg, bacon, sometimes even ham and turkey. Plus then there's the fats - avocado (yum!), Bleu cheese and a creamy dressing. While this salad is not a bad thing on an occasional basis (all things in moderation), I couldn't justify eating this deliciousness for lunch ALL week. So, I healthified it a bit ...


First, the dressing - I picked Hidden Valley ranch dressing, which is - in my opinion - the best ranch dressing ever. Sometimes, you can't skimp on the good stuff.


Next, a hearty vegetable, though actually it's a fruit - cherry tomatoes.


Topped with broccoli florets. Not normally in a Cobb Salad, but I wanted to add more veggies.


Some sliced carrots. Again, not in a traditional Cobb salad, but a great addition to my healthified Cobb salad.


Iceberg lettuce salad mix - a traditional Cobb salad ingredient.


Baby spinach leaves - a healthified ingredient. Yummy!


Topped with chopped hard-boiled egg and chopped bacon. Normal Cobb salad ingredients, but in reasonable amounts.


Lastly, since I don't like Bleu cheese, I added crumbles of feta cheese to top off my delicious, healthified Cobb salad. On Thursday, I'll share my review about this yumminess.

No comments:

Post a Comment