Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cooking with Kids: Chef SuperBoy makes Flash's Banana Pancakes

Well, here I am again, posting late again. I try to post on Monday and Thursdays, but life didn't align with my blog-posting plans. That happens. This week, I'm gonna veer a bit off course of lunches, and talk about cooking with your kids.


I spoke at a nearby MOPS group (Mothers Of Preschoolers) about meal planning, plus about kids & food. (By the way, MOPS has been a lifesaver to me; we've moved several times while our kids were preschoolers, and I felt alone and isolated. MOPS gave me the opportunity to find myself again, in the midst of new and supportive friends. Get involved today - Find a MOPS group!)

Anyways, one aspect of "Kids & food" that I spoke about was in regards to cooking with the kiddos. In the past, my kids have randomly begged to cook with me. However, this hasn't worked out. Why?
* I either didn't have the necessary ingredients on hand
* Or I wasn't in the right frame of mind to have a helper
* Or our schedule didn't permit it right at that desired moment.
* Or BOTH kids wanted to help at the same time.

How was that working for me? Not so well.

So I decided to be proactive about cooking with my kids. Here's been my plan for the past few weeks. On Monday night, one child cooks dinner with me. The following Monday night, the other child cooks dinner with me. Since I only have 2 kids (right now), they each get a turn every other week.


This set-up has been working rather well for us, for several reasons.
* It provides the child one-on-one time with me.
* The child picks out several recipes ahead of time, and I choose one of those desired recipes to make.
* Because we are planning ahead, I actually have time to get the desired ingredients at the grocery store!
* This process also results in the child becoming more interested in food - the taste, texture, health benefits thereof.
* The child chef is SO proud to present the meal that he/she created.


Chef SuperBoy chose to make The Flash's Favorite Banana Pancakes with Red Cherry Sauce, from The Official DC Superhero Cookbook. (My review on this cookbook will come out in the near-ish future.) By the way, Dad was requested to make the pancakes alongside Chef SuperBoy, since Dad is the "Pancake King"; I was happy to step out of the way & take the pictures instead.


And here is Chef SuperBoy - so proud to announce HIS dinner to our family, and so happy to eat his yummy, messy creation.
Trying taking small steps to cooking with your kids. Even making pancakes or a fruit salad together. The results are phenomenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment