Monday, April 21, 2014

Q Bento


Q is the letter of the day. Honestly, this was a bit of a challenge. (But nothing like 'Letter X' will be. Still working on ideas for that one.) Anyways, I crafted several Q foods into a breakfast-themed bento.

The grains portion consists of Quakers oats granola. I made my own granola, but store-bought granola is pretty tasty too! I made sure to include a small Tupperware container of milk in the lunchbox as well. Granola is pretty dry without a bit of milk.

You might think that those nuts in that green silicone cup are macadamia nuts. And you would be right. Except that they are also called Queensland nuts. Macadamia nuts are native to Australia, and one of the regions in which they grow is the northeastern state of Queensland. Hence the name.

The Quetsche plum is the featured fruit of this Q bento. It is also known as the French sugar plum or the Italian prune plum. You know what ... I couldn't find any cute, little plums by any of those names. So my kiddos got a regular ole plum in the their lunch. And they didn't know any different. And don't you tell them either! ;-)

The protein and the dairy components were combined into a Quiche bites made with Queso. I poured quiche batter mixed with cheese into mini muffin tins, baking them for less time than a full-sized quiche. Presto! Lunch-sized mini quiches.

On Thursday, I will post a list of other foods that begin with the letter Q. Perhaps that will inspire your creativity to create one as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment