Thursday, April 17, 2014

Easter Bento How-To

Today, I will walk you through how to make the Easter bento lunch that I posted on Monday. The steps are rather easy, yet numerous. Let's get started.


First, here are my ingredients in raw form: multigrain bread, black olives, cheddar cheese slices, baby spinach, freeze-dried blueberries, and potatoes. (Not pictured: red Twizzlers). The first step is to make mashed potatoes, and let them cool. If you do not know how to make mashed potatoes, try this link, or look it up in almost any cookbook.


Next, I used a cross-shaped cookie cutter to create crosses out of multigrain bread. (I use the remaining scraps of bread to make a breakfast strata or bread crumbs. No waste here.)


I patted the chilled mashed potatoes into the lower right corner of the lunch container. This symbolizes Christ's tomb.


Using a small round cookie cutter, I made an impression in the mashed potatoes.


Using the circle impression as a guideline, I carved out a hole with a spoon.


I filled the hole with black olives, to symbolize the emptiness of Christ's grave. Hallelujah!


Again, I used the small round cookie cutter to cut a circle out of multigrain bread.


The small circle of multigrain bread symbolizes the stone that the angels rolled away from the empty grave.


I packed baby spinach around the cross to represent grass; plus, it adds a great nutritional punch!


I wanted to use blueberries for the sky component, but I could not find fresh blueberries anywhere! So Trader Joe's came to the rescue with their freeze-dried blieberries. Honestly, they took some tastebuds adjustment, but ultimately, it served its purpose - both visually and nutritionally.


My handy-dandy small round cookie cutter for used once again - to cut a circle of a slice of cheddar cheese.


Using a sharp knife, I cut thin strips of cheddar cheese.


I carefully laid down several strips of cheese to create the sun's rays.


Add the cheese circle, and now there is a cheerful sun in my husband's lunch!


Finishing touches: I cut red Twizzlers on an angle and tooth picked them together to spell the word 'LIFE'. Because that is what I believe Easter is about. Before I realized that Christ loved me, I was a zombie, 'living dead'. In His never-ending, unfailing, always-and-forever love, Christ rescued me from my sins & death. I am not trying to be preachy; that is never my heart, never my intention. It's just that I am once again struck by the love that Christ, my Rescuer and Redeemer, has for me, for each and every person.


I added a pansy from our garden to tie the whole bento together. It's a beautiful, edible decoration; eat only the petals.


 Lastly, the packed bento lunch was from my husband. Not wanting the kids, who are on Spring Break, to miss out, I created this Easter-themed lunch on their plates. Easily adaptable!

1 comment:

  1. WhatAGreatReminderAndLesson!! thankYouForPostingThis!! VeryCreative!!

    ReplyDelete