Monday, July 7, 2014

Leaving on a Jet Plane ... Snacks needed

Yup, in a few days, we're "leaving on a jet plane". Taking a family vacation back to the East Coast to visit extended family. And besides entertainment for the kiddos (which I have plenty of activities packed), SNACKS is the other thing that MUST be packed when traveling with kids. Or even by myself .. I get grumpy if I don't have something to snack on, OR if I have to pay exorbitant airline prices for less-than-appealing snacks. So ... I pack our own.

Here's what I packed in one bag:
3 packages of Terra veggie chips - 1 oz each
2 Kashi granola bars in different flavors
1 Market Pantry 100% fruit strip
1 SunRype 100% fruit strip 
1 Welch's Fruit Snacks
1 TreeTop fruit-flavored applesauce
2 Nutri-Grains in different flavors
1 package of Austin crackers (not healthy, but fun)


Next, I put everything except the applesauce pouch into a gallon-size Ziploc bag, setting the applesauce pouch aside.


When I'm traveling, snacks tend to tide me over. However, on a long trip, after a while, I want some lunch! Instead of buying over-priced sandwiches and salads in an airport or even on the plane, I pack a a light, portable lunch. Bumble Bee Tuna Salad kit comes with a small tin of tuna salad, 6 crackers and a tiny spoon. To round out the light lunch, I am also packing a cup of mandarin oranges and a spoon!


I threw the tuna kit and spoon into the gallon-sized bag, leaving the mandarin orange cup on the side.


Lastly, I placed the applesauce pouch and the mandarin orange cup in the TSA-required, quart-sized, Ziploc bag. They are technically gels and liquids, so into the quart bag they go. I'll have to admit ... I don't know if the fruit cup is under the required 3.4-ounces. I guess, I'll let you know on Thursday, when I blog about my choice of plane snacks. :)


Everyone gets their own gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Each person carries their own snack bag in their backpack; this keeps the little people from fighting over "the good stuff". When it's snack time, everyone opens their own personal bag, choosing which snack they want to eat. Lots of choices!

Like I said before, I plan to discuss the pros and cons of my plane snack choices. Join me again on Thursday to see how well the snacks faired! Here's what is in ONE PERSON's bag. That's right; everyone gets their own gallon-sized Ziploc bag. each person carries their own snack bag (no fighting), and when it's snack time, everyone gets to choose which snack they want to eat. Lots of choices!

2 comments:

  1. Of course...their own personalized snack bag! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy flying! And I have to laugh that I have those same exact two favors of Kashi bars in my pantry right now!

    ReplyDelete