Monday, June 30, 2014

Veggie and Fruit Fireworks

My kids are on summer break, and like most other kids, they no longer need to carry a daily, packed lunch. Therefore, I decided to create an unpacked snack, getting creative with fruit and veggies. Since the 4th of July is quickly approaching, I crafted the produce into fireworks! (By the way, if you wanted to turn this into a full-size, unpacked lunch, add in cheese cubes, cooked penne, chunks of meat, etc.)

Here's what I began with - broccoli and cauliflower florets, baby carrots, celery, mushrooms, kiwi, Cherub tomatoes (SO delicious), blueberries and purple grapes. (Not pictured: orange and yellow pepper strips. I forgot I had them until halfway through!)
You can use whatever you have on hand!


Toothpicks are the essential tool for this project. And they are so cheap too!


Here's where you get to be creative. There is no right or wrong way to put together veggie and fruit fireworks! You can make fireworks starbursts.


Or the kind that shoot up from the ground.


Seriously, get creative! Let your kids in on the crafting the fun!


Starburst and ground fireworks work well with fruit too!


For the veggie fireworks, add some Hidden Valley Ranch dressing on the side, and you have the perfect summer snack!


At least, my kiddos think so!


They ate almost all of the veggie fireworks. I'm saving the fruit fireworks for tomorrow.

On another note, I'm taking a break over the 4th of July holiday, so there will be no post from me on Thursday, July 3rd. I hope that you have a wonderful holiday weekend with your family. I'll have a super special post on Monday, July 7th! You'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment