Thursday, June 19, 2014

Reusable snack baggies, part 1

One concern about my Smart Summer Snacking Plan is the waste factor of using disposable, plastic snack baggies.  There are pros and cons to using Ziploc-type snack baggies.

Pro: You can buy numerous baggies for cheap. Usually $3.00 for 50 baggies, making the price about $0.06/baggie. Cheaper up front than reusable fabric bags.

Con: If you throw them into the garbage when you're done, it adds to the landfill problem.

Pro: Because they are clear, you can see the contents. The visual aspect makes the choices MUCH MORE appealing to my hungry kiddos.

Con: Throwing away the plastic baggies is kinda like throwing away money.

Pro: You can find plastic Ziploc or baggies (or a knock-off brand) at any grocery stores.

Here is how I currently came to a reasonable solution for my household.
(1) I use our few fabric baggies for things like sandwiches or veggies for school.
(2) I mostly use plastic baggies for snacks, fruits and veggies. BECAUSE my kids will more readily eat the healthy foods that they can see.
(3) I wash, dry and reuse most of the plastic baggies. With exception of cheesy snacks (like Extra Cheddar Goldfish or Pirate's Booty), and certain veggies (bell peppers, pickles). Either the flaky powdery stuff doesn't wash off well, or the smell and taste of peppers has permeated the baggie. Either way, I consider it a loss (a successful loss - my kids ate their veggies!) and throw away that particular baggie.

Washing baggies is rather simple.


I use a dish brush, dishwashing soap and a bottle rack.


First, you have to turn the baggies completely inside-out.


My bottle rack holds about 8 baggies, so I turn 8 of them inside-out.


Soap up the dish brush, and give the inside-out baggie a light scrubbing. Repeat with all prepared baggies.


Give the baggies a quick rinse, making sure all of the soap is washed away.


Place the washed baggie on the bottle rack to dry.


Repeat with the rest of the baggies. And then let them air-dry. Once dry, fill again with veggies, fruits or snacks. Best of both worlds, for minimum labor and cost.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this post. I bought some of the expensive cloth baggies, and while they're great on many fronts, I think the fact that my boy can't see what's inside makes him less likely to EAT what's inside! Another thing I've tried is using the little round Ziploc (or store brand) plastic food storage containers -- I think they are 1/2 cup size. They fit nicely in his lunchbox, with a sandwich box I got from Dollar Tree for his sandwich on top. They are no spill, and I can throw them in the dishwasher. Cheers to you for being thrifty and eco-conscious! XOXO

    ReplyDelete