Monday, June 9, 2014

Smart Summer Snacking!

Summer is approaching, which means my kids are going to be out of school in less than 2 weeks. While I love the unstructuredness of summertime, my least favorite thing to hear (besides "I'm Boooooredddd!") is "I'm SO hungrrryyyy!" In the interest of my sanity and my kids' seemingly hollow legs, I devised a plan - a Smart Summer Snacking plan.


It all began a few days ago, when I found pretzels and Goldfish on sale; I bought a few packages. That evening, while my husband and I were catching up on Hawaii Five-0 episodes (Love that show!), I divided the fishies and pretzels into serving-size portions, pouring them into individual, snack-size Ziploc bags. (My husband loved this plan, because if there were any goldfish or pretzels leftover that didn't create a full serving size, I handed the remainder of the bag to him.)


Well, that just got me started, and I began cutting veggies and bagging them up. Next, out came the grapes, which also got divvied up into baggies. All while watching Hawaii Five-0 episodes.


The next day, I introduced my kids to my Smart Summer Snacking plan. In addition to normal meals (obviously), my kiddos are allowed to have one "snackie" of pretzels/goldfish/crackers each day; it's their decision which item they choose and when they want to eat it. Here's the stash of various goldfish and pretzels, sitting on our kitchen counter.


During the other "I'm-dying-of-hunger" times, they are free to help themselves to pre-packaged veggies or fruit, which are stored in the refrigerator. And can I just tell you? Their produce intake has skyrocketed over the past few days! They might eat me out of house-and-home, but hooray for healthy choices!


And you know what, my husband and I are eating healthier choices too! Besides, the kiddos have a few days of school left, and this pre-packaging gig makes throwing together their lunch a breeze! Try it!

On Thursday, I'm gonna talk more about this plan. Addressing a few concerns. Giving some tips and tricks. Presenting numerous delicious and EASY snack ideas. I'm pretty excited about this; hopefully, my excitement is infectious! See you on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment