Friday, February 7, 2014

Olympic Torch Lunch



It's time for the Olympics! Can't wait to watch the Opening Ceremonies with my husband and kiddos tonight. It'll kinda be a "first" for us; four years ago, LoveBug and SuperBoy were WAY too young to remember the Winter Games.
Here is my kick-off tribute to the Olympic Games!


The most time-consuming project was constructing the torch base, made out of whole-wheat tortillas transformed into quesadillas.


Using a pizza cutter, I cut a torch-shaped triangle out of a whole-wheat tortilla. After cutting one triangle, I placed it into the bento box to make sure that it fit. Guess what? It didn't! Good thing I tried it first, before cutting ALL of the triangles. Once I figured out the correct size, I then used the first triangle to as a pattern to cut the rest of them.


On a griddle, I lined up a few tortilla triangles, sprinkled them with cheese and then topped them with the other triangles. Once the cheese had melted, I flipped them, cooking them on the other side.


Once they were pleasantly toasted, I took them off the griddle, let them cool for a tiny bit, and then cut them apart.


I stacked the quesadilla torches in the middle of a lunch container. (Please note how THIS particular container is NOT an actual bento box, but rather a Sterilite Ultra Seal container. You can use almost any container to create a bento lunch.)

Above the quesadilla torches, I placed a small bed of rice, molding it into the corner of the container. This is the hidden base for the torch's flame.

After cutting mini peppers into strips to resemble flames, I carefully arranged them over the rice, thereby creating the symbolic flame.

Broccoli florets fill in one side of the container, while a cup full of clementine segments & cheese sticks halves complete the other side. I added a small container of soy sauce (the yellow star) as a condiment for the rice.


I hope you will be watching the Olympic Games. In the next few weeks, look for some more Olympics-themed bentos to be popping up on my blog. Can't wait to show you what I have in store!

2 comments:

  1. Diana this is so cute! How about a curling themed bento? That would be my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curling, hmmm. Let me see what I can come up with. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete