Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Superbowl Bento Lunch


The Super Bowl is the time for epic plays, and equally awesome lunches. Here is my version of a Super Bowl lunch.

First, I made a bed of rice as the backdrop for the bento. Although I neglected to include it in the picture, I tucked a condiment container of soy sauce into the lunch, as flavoring for the rice. (If you put soy sauce on the rice too early, it soaks in, creating soggy, mushy rice. Adding soy sauce to the rice right before you eat it ... perfection.)

Broccoli resembles the grass of the football field, while sticks of cheddar cheese form a goal post.

The football is made from whole wheat quesadillas, cut into football shapes. I drew the 'laces' on the football quesadillas with a black food marker.

By now, I guess you know which team I am cheering for. I'm kinda obligated to do so, since I live in that state. :) In order to create the famous "12" sign with food, I utilized blueberries as the background. Next, I cut peeled jicama into 1/2"-thick slices, and cut out the #12 with cookie cutters. (In case you weren't aware, the Seahawks consider their (loudly exuberant) fans "the 12th man" of the team, hence why there are "12" flags flying all over Seattle.)

For dessert, I added a few Skittles to honor the Seahawks' leading rusher Marshawn Lynch. Legend has it that when Marshawn was playing football as a preteen, his mama used to give him Skittles before his games. Encouragement in the form of "power pellets" helped him to run faster and to play his best. Well, the Seahawks fans have run with that sweet memory, turning it into a shower of Skittles every time he scores a touchdown.

Go, Seahawks! But whoever wins, whether Seahawks or Broncos - kudos to both teams on a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment