Monday, January 27, 2014

Colorful & Delicious Letter K Bento


Letter K Lunch - this is one of my favorite bentos. Featuring such an assortment of bright colors, it is just begging you to eat it!

The base of this cheerful lunch is Kabobs. I cracked wooden skewers to fit into the bento box, making sure that there were no splintered ends. I sauteed cubes of beef and chunks of zucchini. Once they had cooled sufficiently, I threaded them onto the skewers, adding in bite-sized pieces of red and orange mini peppers.

Tucked into the small, green silicone cup, is the dairy component for the day: cubes of Kasseri cheese, which is similar to feta cheese.

In order to fit everything into this packed lunch, I had to cut the Kipfel in half. Kipfel is a bread similar to a croissant.

Kiwi fruit is the obvious choice for a fruit beginning with the Letter K. I made sure to include a food pick, so that my kiddos would (hopefully) use the pick and not their fingers to pick up the kiwi. Hopefully, less sticky mess!

I threw in Kumquats on a whim. These are weird yet delicious, little fruits. They are strange, because they look like mini oval oranges. And yet you don't peel them. With a kumquat, you pop the whole thing into your mouth. It's an interesting taste. Try it sometime!

A mini Kit Kat bar comprises the dessert portion of the meal.

Lastly, my favorite! And now it is my kids' favorite: Kale chips! If I wasn't pushing myself to create a bento lunch for each of the 26 letters in the alphabet, I NEVER would have tried these fragile, delicious creations. (One time, I made 7 cookie sheets of these kale chips, and my kids practically inhaled 5 sheets-worth of kale chips in 10 minutes. I could have been upset that I spent SO much time prepping & baking them, and then I realized ... my kids just happily ate PURE VEGGIES!)

Anyways, here is the recipe for Heavenly Kale Chips. My dad just tried them the other day, and decided that they weren't that bad. Try them for yourself, and let me know what YOU think!

No comments:

Post a Comment