Monday, January 20, 2014

Letter J Bento



It has been a week or two since I've posted about alphabentos. To refresh your memory, my current purpose is to create a lunch full of foods beginning with one particular letter, slowly working my way through the entire alphabet. This week's letter is J.

Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix made it easy to create the main part of this week's bento. I simply cooked the rice mix according to the package directions, and then added in some cooked, smoked sausage. Tada ... my non-Southern-style of cooking. (If you're from the South, please pardon my attempt at jambalaya.)

Into the corner of the lunchbox, I tucked some slices of Jarlsberg cheese. This type cheese looks similar to Swiss, but it tends to have a buttery texture with a nutty flavor.

LydiBug thought of Jicama as the Letter J vegetable. You might be asking, "Umm, what is jicama?' It is a brown-skinned, root vegetable; once you peel it, the white flesh is crunchy and sweet. If you haven't done so yet, try it!

I made a Johnnycake, which is a type of fried, cornmeal flatbread. To be perfectly honest, it didn't taste all that great; twas rather bland.

Lastly, in a Letter J lunch, you simply MUST include Jelly Belly Jellybeans!

No comments:

Post a Comment