Monday, November 18, 2013

An Asian-themed Letter D bento lunch


While preparing to create a 'D lunch', I reviewed my list of foods beginning with the letter D. A few items presented themselves as terrific food pairings. Hence, a loosely-Asian-inspired Letter D bento lunch.

Forming the base of the lunch is a layer of pan-fried Dumplings - many thanks to Trader Joe's! Tucked in between the dumplings are leaves of a Spring mix salad. Not only does this add color and vibrancy to the lunch, but it also bumps up the nutrition factor.

The main vegetable component is a Daikon Radish Salad, topped with chives for color. Personally, my family found it to have an unfamiliar tanginess; however, if we ate it more often, we would probably grow to like it.

For the fruit aspect, I planned to add dates to this bento. However, my husband (yes, I send these bento lunches with him too) is not a big fan of dates. But what man can resist something wrapped in bacon! Presenting: Bacon-Wrapped, Feta-Stuffed Dates!  My husband LOVED them! My kids thought they were 'different' and 'just okay', but hey, I got them to try dates!

The cute, little containers nestled n the middle of the dumplings contain: (1) a Dumpling sauce in which to dip the dumplings, and (2) the Dressing for the daikon radish salad.

Lastly, I tried to round out the meal with something a little special: a Dragonfruit Drink. It was my intention to include slices of dragonfruit in the actual lunch, but at that time, I couldn't find any in the grocery store. Of course, NOW I can find them! Oh well.

Later on this week, I will post a list of more foods beginning with the letter D. What Delicious Dish will you create? (Sorry, I couldn't resist using those D words.)



No comments:

Post a Comment