Monday, September 8, 2014

Trader Joe's Lunchable

Today's lunch is brought to you by Trader Joe's and their August Fearless Flyer. We happen to be lucky enough to have a Trader Joe's down the road from us, but if you don't have one of these awesome stores, you can easily substitute foods from your local store.

The point of my Trader Joe's lunchables is two-fold: (1) a healthy lunch that is (2) easy to make. Therefore, if you grab an item from each food group (dairy, grains, protein, fruit, veggies), you can quickly and easily make a portable, healthy lunch. No matter what grocery stores are around you.

Plus, on Thursday, I will give you the kids' reviews of these products.



Today's lunch consists of:
(1) Dairy: TJ's Organic Lowfat Yogurt Squishers - these yogurt tubes come in a box of 8 for $3.19, which is about $0.40/tube. You have a choice of 8 Strawberry yogurts in a box, or a combo or Cherry and Berry yogurts, 4 each in a box.

(2) Grain: Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins - my family is not gluten-free, but I know of several families that are GF. I figured we would give these blueberry-filled bakery treats a try, and on Thursday, we'll let you know the verdict. $3.99 for 4 muffins, making them each a dollar.

(3) Protein: Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets - Omg. I know that I said I was gonna give you our reviews on Thursday, but wow. After I baked these for the kiddos' lunches, I tried one. Wow. These might be the best store-bought, oven-baked chicken nuggets that I have ever eaten. $4.99/16 nuggets. 1 serving is 4 nuggets, making a serving $1.25 each. Not exactly cheap, but for GF and non-GF eaters alike, these nuggies (as my kids used to call them) are perfect.

(4) Fruit: Fruit Bars - these are relatively new to Trader Joe's. The thing I love most about this new product? There are only 2 ingredients, and both are fruit. No preservatives, no additives, nada. Four different flavors - Apple Banana, Apple Coconut, Apple Mango and Apple Strawberry. $0.99 each for pure fruit goodness.

(5) Veggies: Inner Peas - Baked green pea snackies with a touch of salt. On Thursday, I'll let you know what my kids thought of them. $1.49 for about 3 servings, making it a doable $0.50/serving for veggies!


To assemble, I baked the chicken nuggets ... and taste-tested them of course! While the nuggets cooled a bit, I cut the blueberry muffin to fit into the lunch container. Inner Peas go in one section, and chicken nuggets (so yummy!) plop into the other small section. Add a lid, and pack the Yogurt Squisher and Fruit Bar on the side. And presto - LUNCH!

For less than $4.25. More expensive than a school lunch, BUT much more healthy! And super easy to make.

By the way, if you are packing the lunches the night before like I do, I would wait to add the Inner Peas until morning. The refrigerator can add moisture to the baked pea snacks, making it less than desirable. Other than that, you're good to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment