Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ultrasound Reveal and DIY Pics of "Baby Bee" Bento

On Monday, I showed you the lunch I made for the kiddos on Ultrasound Day. They were convinced that it was a girl. And they were right ... it's a GIRL!

We surprised them with pink donuts from TopPot (a local donut shop). "Pink" because that is how we told them "it's a girl!". Donuts because it was a celebration, and donuts are a very rare treat.


Here is how I made this "guess-the-gender" lunch.


I began with the following ingredients:
Hard-boiled eggs (not pictured)
"Blue for a boy" ingredients - blueberries and blue corn chips (Garden of Eatin' chips are DELICIOUS!)
"Pink for a girl" ingredients - red radishes and red bell peppers. (Naturally pink foods are rather difficult to come by, so I substituted red.)


After removing the shells, I rolled the peeled, hard-boiled eggs in yellow food-coloring, and then pat them dry with a paper towel.


Here's the dyed, hard-boiled eggs.


Once the eggs were patted dry, I added candy eyeballs and positioned a strip of nori (dried seaweed) as a bumblebee stripe.


One more nori stripe and sliced almonds as the wings, and the edible bumblebee is complete.



Moving on to packing the lunch: I began by placing several silicone baking cups in the lunch container as placeholders. I added blueberries to one blue silicone baking cup.


Red pepper strips filled in one side of the container.


Radishes fill in the space opposite the red peppers. And blue corn chips (so yummy!) get added to the other silicone baking cup.



Lastly, I placed the bumblebee egg in the small silicone cup in the center.
Now the "What Will Baby 'Bee'?" lunch is complete.





No comments:

Post a Comment