Thursday, May 29, 2014

Homegrown Lettuce in Recycled Milk Jugs


Last week, on my Letter R lunch post, I told you that I picked homegrown lettuce from our milk jug garden on our back deck. Today, I want to show you how to do it. It's pretty easy, and your kids will love watching the seeds sprout and grow. Plus, you can't beat the freshness and delicious taste!


Here's what you will need:
Several empty, rinsed-out milk jugs - I saved mine for a few weeks before this project.
An exacto knife.
Seeds - lettuce, spinach, salad-y type stuff.
Dirt - I used a potting soil mix.
Small shovel.


First step, turn the milk jug on its side, with the handle facing down. Using the exacto knife, an adult should cut off the side, which is now the top, since you laid the milk jug down. (Please know that I was careful, even though the pictures don't necessarily illustrate that. It is very hard to cut and take pictures at the same time!)


This is what it should look like when you are finished. Not professional nor perfect nor Pinterest-worthy, but it gets the job done. Ya know?


The next step is VERY important. Turn the milk jug upside down, and poke holes or X's in the bottom. This allows excess water to drain, preventing a build up of mildew within your container. Eww, we don't want that.


Now, flip your milk jug back over, and fill with dirt or potting soil. Kids will love to help with this step!


And the kids' most important job: adding the seeds, and covering them with dirt.


Give your newly planted seeds a shower. I mean it: really drench the container.


In a few weeks, your homegrown, milk-jug lettuce will be ready to be picked for a dinnertime side salad. Can't get much fresher than that!


Try it out at home, and send me pics of your gardening prowess!

2 comments:

  1. Totally doing this today! Thank you so much for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is that you can do this every week. After the kiddos finish off the milk, I rinse out the jug & repeat this process. Then, I constantly have lettuce growing.

      Delete