Monday, May 12, 2014

Lorax Bento


Today, I want to introduce you to one of my personal favorites. I made this lunch a while ago, right after "The Lorax" came out on RedBox. (So thankful for RedBox, since that is how our family views most "new movies". Cheap family date in the comfort of our own home.)


To create the Lorax, I used an oval-shaped cookie cutter to cut slices of bread and a slice of cheddar cheese. Then, I simply made a ham sandwich, topped with the oval-shaped cheddar slice. I hand-cut the Lorax's mustache and bushy eyebrows out of yellow American cheese.  Small circles of ham became the Lorax's eyes and mouth. With a few dots of black decorative gel, the Lorax came to life.


Crisp, green celery sticks represent the grassy hills on which the Truffala trees grew. To craft the Truffula trees, I used pretzel sticks, thin slices of deli ham, and yellow American cheese.  This part was super easy. I simply used cookie cutters to cut various sized circles out of the ham and cheese. Next, I layered them on the "grassy hills", added a pretzel stick to each to symbolize the trunk, and voila ... tasty Truffula trees!


I added a few finishing touches of blue corn chips for the sky, a yellow container of salsa (in my husband's lunch) for the sun, and goldfish to represent the Humming-fish.

As you can see, I made three different lunches - one for my husband and for each of our 2 kids. This just goes to show you that it is possible to make a creative lunch, no matter what size or type of lunchbox you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment