Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Mother's Day


Happy Mother's Day, albeit a tad bit early!
(Don't forget! Mother's Day is THIS Sunday! Do a something thoughtful for your momma.)

In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to convey the special bond between a mother and child. While pondering HOW to describe that bond within a boxed lunch, my eyes came across a card that my mom-in-love enabled my kids to purchase for me.



Granted, my kids bought this card for me for a whole different reason ... on April Fool's Day, I discovered a live bird in my house and freaked out! The kids decided to prank me by putting this card (with birds on it) in my bed, so that I would freak out again. What can I say ... they are 5 & 8, and new to this "April Fools" pranking thing.)

Anyways, this card features a sweet momma bird caring for her two baby birds. 'Bingo', I thought! Therefore, "Mother's Day Bento" birdie-style. (I completely forgot to take pictures of me making the lunch, so you'll have to make do with my commentary.)


First, I boiled spaghetti noodles, mixing whole wheat noodles with regular to give a textured look. Once the noodles are cooked and cooled, I stirred in a tiny bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking to each other. In the bottom half of the bento box (which is a Lock & Lock container), I formed a "nest" of noodles.

Next, I created the "leafy tree" of baby spinach above the nest. A pretzel rod forms the branch on which the momma bird sits.

The "birds" are made from baguette and Brie cheese. Cutting the baguette into thin slices, I chose both a large piece and a small end piece to create my birds. To form the beak, I sliced a carrot and cut a V-shape from that slice. Creating the wing was a bit more pretentious; I used kitchen shears to cut a heart-shape from a mini bell pepper. Spreading softened Brie cheese onto the baguette slices, I topped each slice with a carrot beak and red pepper wing. Lastly, I dotted the baguette slice with a drop of black decorating gel for the birdie's eye.

Next, I nestled the larger baguette birdie into the spinach leaves, and the baby baguette birdie into the nest of noodles. (I sent along a container of Italian dressing to mix into the noodles at lunchtime.)

To promote the "loving bond" theme, I cut melon into heart shapes, packed in a separate container to contain the juices.

Tada! A Mother's Day Bento. Not too hard. Try it for yourself. You can do it!

1 comment:

  1. This is so creative and cute! And I have to say, if anyone jokes with me about having a bird trapped in my house again I will probably lose it! Your kids have a good sense of humor :)

    ReplyDelete