Monday, August 18, 2014

Mason Jar Pasta Salad - How-To

Hey readers - so sorry that I couldn't post sooner. On Thursday, my family and I left to camp in a remote location - so remote that there was no cell tower or 3G for MILES. Twas very good to be unplugged, but unnerving when I realized that I hadn't posted as promised.
So please forgive my tardiness!


So here's how to make a Mason Jar Pasta Salad - step-by-step.


In a Mason Jar Pasta Salad, you can use any ingredients that you desire. It's quite adaptable to differing palates. Here's what I used: broccoli, whole wheat pasta, garbanzo beans, snappeas, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, green onions, mozzarella cheese, zucchini and Newman's Own Lite Caesar Dressing.

I began by prepping my ingredients. While the pasta boiled, I cut and chopped the veggies and cheese into bite-sized pieces. I blanched the broccoli florets, zucchini semi-circles and chopped baby carrots.


Next, mise-en-place - which means "everything in its place". I put my ingredients in order of layering. Remember when I told you last week that layering is a key to keeping the ingredients fresh and tasty? Well, that's what I did here. Plus, I wanted the layers of the colorful veggies to look lively.


First, I poured about 2 Tbs. of Newman's Own Lite Caesar dressing into the bottom of a quart mason jar. (This is one of my FAV salad dressings. SO much flavor!)


Colorful grape tomatoes begin to create the barrier between the salad dressing and the softer veggies, which will be added at the top of the jar.


Bite-sized snappeas top the grape tomatoes, adding a bit of crunch!


Bright orange baby carrot pieces add more color. (I blanched these pieces for 2-3 minutes to soften them up just a wee bit.)


A layer of broccoli florets add more green to this already colorful pasta salad. (I blanched these for 3-4 minutes to cut the raw broccoli taste. Be careful to not overcook!)


Garbanzo beans provide another nutritious layer, between layers of delicious, green vegetables.


Semi-circles of zucchini were blanched for 2-3 minutes, then shocked in ice cold water to stop the cooking process. After draining, these half coins were added on top of the garbanzo beans.


Chopped green onions for a flash of color and a burst of flavor.


Small cubes of mozzarella cheese formed the last layer of this delicious pasta salad.


Add the lid and screwtop, and you've got yourself a super nutritious meal once lunchtime rolls around. I simply cannot wait to make a bunch of these, and try them out all week!
I'll let you know when I do.

Plus, be on the look out for some posts about the camping meals we made this past weekend. I'll let you know what works and what didn't. :)

2 comments:

  1. Is that a baby bottle? Cute! Will the dressing leak out the nipple if it tips over? I'm very curious--I have a lot of baby bottles that need put to use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a baby bottle! That's how I announced to the blogger world that I am pregnant!
      I just filled the bottle for the picture; I didn't actually keep it in the bottle for lunch. My guess is that by putting the cap on the bottle would help to keep the dressing in the bottle. Try it out at home and see!

      Delete