Monday, August 11, 2014

Mason Jar Pasta Salad and an Announcement!

I've been doing some reading about Mason Jar Salads. When I first discovered these layered salads on Pinterest, I thought "Seriously? A fancy-layered salad in a jar. Who has the time to make that?! I'm not Martha Stewart. I've got kids to care for and a household to run."

And then ... I read WHY the salad is layered. Here's the basic run-down:
(1) The layers begin with dressing at the bottom, followed by hearty veggies, then softer veggies, pasta, cheese, nuts & seeds.
(2) This layering process keeps the dressing away from the softer veggies (like spinach), which prevents wilted, mushy (therefore yucky-tasting) vegetables. Who wants that? Not me.
(3) Lastly, I have heard that these salads can last up to a week. That means creating lunches on Sunday for the ENTIRE week. When leaving for work in the morning, open the frig, grab the mason jar and go. Or if you're at home during the day, then lunch is already made for you; no more second-guessing a healthy lunch decision.

So I made my own Mason Jar pasta salad, and a special announcement on the side. See if you can guess what my announcement is ...


Pasta salad layered in an Avent baby bottle? Yup, we are pregnant! Due February 5th.

And by the way, come back on Thursday to view my step-by-step pics and instructions of how to craft a Mason Jar Pasta Salad in a Ball Canning jar. Super easy. Very healthy and adaptable. And I think it might become a regular occurrence in our home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment