Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patricks' Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! We are not Irish in the least bit, so I was NOT about to attempt making the traditional Irish fare, especially not with the blog world watching. So instead I created a whimsical rainbow and shamrock bento.


The main part of this lunch features a rice shamrock on a bed of baby spinach. It is actually fairly easy to make! I cooked rice in my rice cooker and let it cool for a few minutes. With wet hands, I molded the rice into heart-shaped rice patties. OR you can make a bed of rice, wet a heart-shaped cookie cutter, and press it into the layer of rice. Positioning the three hearts of rice into a shamrock shape, I added a fish-shaped, soy sauce container as the stem of the shamrock.

I spooned yogurt into the bottom left section, adding a few drops of food coloring. Using a toothpick, I swirled the colors to create a modern-style rainbow.

Lastly, what's a St. Patty's Day bento without a rainbow of fruit?! A few strawberries, clementine sections, half a pineapple ring, kiwi slices and purple grapes. Arrange them in a rainbow fashion. Tada!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment