Monday, October 14, 2013

The Letter A, my first Alphabento


I had this crazy idea that I should make a bento lunch in which everything began with the Letter A. Then I could work my way through the alphabet via appetizing lunches. In doing some research, I discovered that hardly anyone had done this, and IF such lunches had been crafted, it was for the normal A, B and C letters. To this dilemma, I said, "Challenge accepted!"

It was also my hope that my kids would try new foods and perhaps like them. (For instance, I made kale chips for the Letter K bento, and they eat kale chips as fast as I can bake them!)

If you recall my first post How I Began Bento-ing, I mentioned that I include foods from each food group. I googled and researched A LOT, coming up with the following list; the highlighted portions are the foods I used to create my Letter A Bento. It is by no means exhaustive. But I wanted to give YOU the resources to make your own Letter A Bento.

Breads and Grains:
Acini de pepe pasta
Agnolotti (ravioli-like)
All Bran cereal
Angel hair pasta
Animal crackers
Anonlini (round, stuffed pasta)

Dairy:
Alfredo sauce
Almond milk
American cheese
Asiago cheese

Desserts:
Ambrosia salad
Angel food cake

Fruits:
Apple
Applesauce
Apricot
Apple juice
Asian pear

Meats and Protein:
Almonds
Anchovies
Abalone (sea snail)
Albacore tuna
Andouille sausage

Vegetables:
Artichoke hearts
Arugula
Asparagus
Avocado
Adzuki beans
Alfalfa sprouts
Aubergine (eggplant)

Combos:
Ants on a log (celery stalk topped with pb and raisins)
Alphabet soup

Without further ado ... here's what I put into my Letter A Bento.
Angel hair pasta, topped with creamy Alfredo sauce and spicy Andouille sausage, creates the base of the dish. Basil leaves add a pop of needed color. Asparagus spears add another dimension to the dish. For dessert - an Angel food cupcake topped with Apricots and a sprig of mint.

I gave my kiddos cold noodles and sauce in their lunchbox, but you could easily preheat a small thermos and place them hot noodles and sauce in it. Either way ... delicious!

What lunch will YOU create?

No comments:

Post a Comment