Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Quick Bento

Last night, while I was packing the kids' lunches, I was reviewing the components that I wanted to add to the lunches - protein, fruit, veggie, grain, dairy. Lately, I've been giving them pbj sandwiches plus a veggie and a fruit, simply for sake of ease. But I had hard-boiled eggs on hand, so I thought I'd substitute that for the PB part of the sandwich.


Then I got to thinking: what should I put this hard-boiled egg in? A little container? A baggie? Nope, wouldn't work too well. Oh right, I have bento boxes. I haven't used them in so long, that I forgot I had them. A bento box is perfect!


And so my big kiddos ended up with a bento box full of good food:
* A hard-boiled egg, shelled and cut into sections
* Edamame, with the end snipped off, for quicker eating
* Carrot sticks
* Apple chunks, dipped in lemon juice to prevent browning
* Cheese stick, chunked
* Little package of oyster crackers on the side


This morning, when they were getting their lunches out of the frig, they were ecstatic that I had packed bento lunches. Just further proof that lunches don't have to be fancy, just delicious. And fun packaging doesn't hurt either. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment